10/27/09

96,000

U2 sold out the Rose Bowl and showed it all on Youtube.

As you know here in Pachucoville U2 rules. I've been going to see them since the Joshua Tree tour. I did miss the last two tours but not for want. I did go see the 3D movie last year. Anyhow this time I wasn't going to miss them.

I rolled with the homies: Lili and the Bunnies. We met up on the Gold Line and walked it from Memorial Station to the Rose Bowl, according to my phone 1.8 miles. We got in just in time for Black Eyed Peas' third song. Heard Will.I.AM say he was raised in Boyle Hts. Fergie got down singing Guns n Roses' "Sweet Child O' Mine" with Slash playing lead. Dope. They were super hyped to be opening for U2. I never thought they had it in them to open like that, but the BBPs really can put on a show.

Lili and Bunny Greg had never been to a U2 concert, while Bunny Martha and I are veterans. It was cool to see them enter the U2 collective orgasm.

One of the best moments for me was when they did "Unforgettable Fire" a song they hadn't performed in over ten years!

This is a live version of "Unforgettable Fire" (not from my camera) from this tour:


This is the video for "Where the Streets Have No Name" which was shot in downtown LA in the summer of 1987. It was the first day of school for me at LACC and I had to miss this. All I did was listen to KROQ as they told peeps to get down there. My aunt worked in a sweat shop in the building next door. I used to eat at Vivian's a greasy spoon kitty corner to the building where U2 performed. I like to think this song is about LA or maybe Mexico, because we tell directions by landmark. For example: "go straight til you see a bank and the turn left, go down to the 7/11 then right and look for the house with the swings." Hence, Streets With No Name.



Love U2. They are the litmus test to know if you are part of Generation X. I don't know any Gen X'ers who don't like U2. The younger ones seem to think Radiohead is just as good, HA!

Here is the set list:

U2 @ Rose Bowl, 10/25/09 Pasadena, CA
-set list-

Breathe
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day "God Only Knows" snippet
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For "Stand By Me" snippet
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
No Line on the Horizon
Elevation
In A Little While
Unknown Caller
Until The End Of The World
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (but I like it)" snippet
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight "Two Tribes" snippet
MLK
Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone
Encore:
One "Amazing Grace" snippet
Where The Streets Have No Name
Encore 2:
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Moment of Surrender


Here is the full show from Youtube

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

U2 at the Rose Bowl was incredible, best tour since the 92 Zoo TV tour, the band surpassed all expectations and their company did an amazing job with the stage! If you want to catch them next summer in Anaheim tickets go on sale this month, it is a show well worth it. If you believe in the power of Rock and Roll to Elevate the Soul this is a definate misa you don't want to miss! There is nothing like testifying live at one of their shows. And Bono kicked whities butt when he exclaimed Viva Mexico! You know all the peeps from across the border and the Chicanada were the only ones cheering back...you have to love him for recognizing when he's in Nuestra Senora Reina de Los Angeles! I am proud to say that when I met him 92 and he asked me where I was from I responded from my City of Angels, then he looked at my mom who was speaking Spanish to him, he asked about her and looked a bit confused when I responded she was born in Mexico, maybe a first for him? Glad I could unsettle him with a bit of our Chicano truth and her/history. I love those Irish lads!